This year the bums will be doing a big ol’ loop through the Pacific Northwest, traveling from the Cascades to the islands to the rain forests, and everything in between!
Here’s the rough overview:
- Start in PDX (train, plane, or one-way car), and head east up the
beautiful Columbia River Gorge, on a mix of bike path + history highway
- Cross into WA at The Dalles, where we will head up the Klickitat
canyon and up onto the columbia Plateau, and then into the cascades over
the shoulder of Mt. Adams, and then onward up the side of Mount Rainier
- Head east out of the mountains to central WA’s high desert/fruit
country, skirting Yakima and then heading up the stunning Yakima River
Canyon until we reach Ellensburg.
- From there, we head back west over the cascades on 90+ miles of rail
trail though dense forest, including a 1.5 mile tunnel at Snoqualmie Pass.
- Stay to the east of Seattle’s suburbs along more rail trails and
backroads – including the filming locations for Twin Peaks! – making our way to the Puget Sound and Anacortes
- Ferry out to San Juan island (and potentially Orcas island as well),
and putz around the island.
- Ferry back to Anacortes, over the deception pass bridge, and down
Whidbey Island, meandering our way to the ferry across the sound to Port
- More rail trails lead us around the north end of the Olympic
Peninsula, and, as we head south through logging towns and cedar groves, a detour into the Hoh rainforest!
- Skirt the south side of Olympic park through more forested backrounds
until we make our way to Bremerton and the ferry to Seattle.